Activities you do in front of a screen, like watching TV, being on the computer, using the cell phone and playing video games, are called “Screen time”. On average, American children spend almost 3 hours a day watching TV, together along with other activities, they go from 5-7 hours in front of the screen.
So long in front of a screen, can cause children sleep problems, anxiety, attention problems and obesity. Therefore, doctors and experts recommend no screen time for children under 2 years, and only 1 to 2 hours of screen time for children over 2 years old.
So we’ll give you these tips to reduce the hours of screen time of your children:
- Set the example, spend quality time with your kids and promote their interest for outdoor activities.
- Have no TV areas in the house, starting by their bedrooms.
- Do not let your children eat while on the computer or watching TV. There is time for everything.
- Introduce them to other activities such as board games, books, sports or puzzles.
- Let them play with Plobots and learn to program! Joke aside, there are many tools to awake their interest for science without a screen.